Each year, the Institute on the Environment (IonE) recruits graduate students to serve as volunteer leaders and facilitators of our graduate cohort programs. These students also serve on the Institute’s Graduate Leadership Council. Each leader receives a $2,000 stipend as well as professional and leadership development training.
The IonE Graduate Leaders are asked to commit to the role from July 2023 to May 2024, volunteering approximately 3 hours per week when classes are in session and an additional 10 hours total between July – September to recruit and select students to their respective cohort. Graduate Leaders will attend a two day leadership retreat August 3rd and 4th, 2023 at the Institute on the Environment. You will also engage with related and ongoing work at IonE and have the chance to network with IonE faculty, community leaders, and peers. Read about Robin Sehler’s reflections on her experience co-leading the Agriculture & Climate Group.
Who should apply?
- Are you interested in leading one of the following cohorts:
- Agriculture & Climate (2 leaders)
- Ecosystem & Planetary Health (2 leaders)
- Renewable Energy (2 leaders)
- Boreas Sustainability *Twin Cities Specific (2 leaders)
- Are you a current registered University of Minnesota graduate or professional student from either the Twin Cities, Duluth or Rochester campuses with a demonstrated interest in one of the three topics listed above?
- Are you available on Fridays to attend online cohort meetings every other week from 9 – 11 am?
- Are you interested in developing the skills and mindsets needed for interdisciplinary research to effectively address complex environmental issues?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you. We encourage applications from students from all colleges and UMN campuses who are eager to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, and community members and build a peer network.
How do I apply?
Applications for 2023-24 are now closed. We will open applications for the 2024-25 academic year late November 2023.
Want to learn about other cool opportunties? Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date!